Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independent Lady

Happy Independence Day! Is it bad that I use holidays to catch up on housework (and sometimes work work)? Today I finally finished cleaning my deck to get it ready for some protective sealer.



So the standard rule when you have a deck built with pressure treated wood is that you need to let it "weather" for a year. One of my handy co-workers mentioned something about the chemicals used in the wood. From a recent Google search, it sounds as if the chemicals in fresh pressure treated wood prevent a sealer from penetrating the wood. Feel free to correct me if my information is incorrect. The point is, the wood was absorbing water, which means time to seal!


Since a deck is exposed all day every day to the elements, it's a good idea to use a deck cleaner on the wood. It revives the look of the lumber and gets rid of nasty things like mildew stains. During my initial search, the majority of deck cleaners required diluting and scrubbing. You know me, I don't have that kind of time! Luckily, I found a cleaner made by Olympic that did not require either. Unfortunately, that didn't prevent this project from being back breaking!


Clean then rinse. Clean then rinse. I also did a little brushing (not quite scrubbing). Helped even out the "bleaching".

Okay, enough for today! Tomorrow I'll be trying out some paint samples for my kitchen and the foyer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment